Growth & Goals Module
University students have to learn in many different formats [e.g., lecture, online, blended, flipped, labs] and manage many different course and life expectations [e.g., part-time jobs, clubs, sports, volunteer work, family]. To be successful, students need to know and continually monitor their learning plus develop autonomy and professional capacity skills; these are two Undergraduate Degree Level Expectations (UDLEs 5 and 6) and are components of SRL. Currently, few programs, courses, and online resources address SRL skills or explicitly help students take control of their learning.
We created this Growth & Goals Module to help learners take greater control of their learning. The module is designed to be integrated in a course, helping students develop skills succeed in that course and beyond.
Demonstration of the module in organic chemistry
Growth & Goals Module: demonstration version (EN). Take a look at how this demonstration version of the Growth & Goals module can be used in an Organic Chemistry Course. The module is fully adaptable to and integrated courses in any discipline and at any level.
We are conducting a project evaluation to understand how the module is used by educators and students and to examine the impacts for learners and educators. If you are using the module in a course, we would really appreciate if you could take part in the evaluation.
Ethics approval has been secured through uOttawa's Office of Research Ethics and Integrity. The time commitment is small!
You can sign up for email updates and/or participate in the project's evaluation here: goo.gl/forms/MIcx8zVcigvaXgsW2
Growth & goals module
Ready to use the module in your course? You will find the adaptable documents below--remember to start with the instructions. In the past, educators reported needing 2–5 hours to prepare the module for use in their course. #GrowthGoals
- Growth & Goals Module — Instructions (EN)
- Growth & Goals Module — the module (EN)
- Module d'objectifs et de croissance — Instructions (FR)
- Module d'objectifs et de croissance — le module même (FR)
- The module has CC-BY-NC-SA licensing. You can find license details on the Creative Commons site.
- The French version of the module has been professionally translated and students are currently double checking the formatting and flow.
- Please contact us if you have any questions! GrowthGoalsModule@gmail.com or Alison.Flynn@uOttawa.ca